Monday, April 29, 2013

Author Blog



Hello!  My name is Tracy Lane and I am the crazy mind behind Paranormal Properties. Please bear with me, this is my very first guest blog and I am not too sure how to proceed, but I am going to give a try.
My first goal was to be a published writer and I have succeeded at that. My next goal is to make a living off of my writing and I am working on that. Paranormal Properties is my first novel. The process of writing it was very slow at first. I tried for 5 years to get this book written. I just didn’t have the confidence that I could do it and do it well. One day I jus t noticed my children had grown up, the last two were teenagers and just seemed not to need me as much, and since my husband had died a few years before in a car wreck, I was basically alone.  So, once again, I picked up my pen and tried to write my story. I was so frustrated; I just could not seem to get it out. Then I read somewhere that if you write 5 to 10 minutes a day and just try to get one page out, you will end up with a book in one year. Not wanting to be someone who, late in life, ended up saying they wished they had done what they always dreamed to do, I wanted to be that person who actually did it.
It actually worked! I found that my writing time was early morning when I made coffee and sat down to type a page before getting the kids up for school.  Soon it became a habit. I found myself during the day looking forward to the next morning and even thinking about what would happen next. After it all was written, next came hiring an editor to clean it up so it could be submitted. The editor is actually a writer too, knew about submitting to publishers, and offered to do it for me. That took a lot of worry off my shoulders; I had never submitted anything before and was not sure how to go about it.
Here’s the crazy part, two weeks after submitting Paranormal Properties to a few publishers, I had a contract in hand from Pants on Fire Press.  My first novel, that took years to get written, only took two weeks to find a publisher. And even now that it is published, I am still pinching myself to see if it is real. I really don’t want to wake up and find out it isn’t.
Everyone seems to love Paranormal Properties. It’s a book for all ages that is not scary; it’s more of a Scooby Doo or Goosebumps. Several people have asked me if it will be a series, because they want to read more of Jake and Frank. I say sure, why not! I have started another book called Entwined Courage. It is a young adult romance story but after this one is done, I will start on the Paranormal Properties sequel. I did leave it off in case I wanted to keep writing them. Now I am so glad I decided to do that. Jake and Frank are characters that everyone falls in love with. And isn’t that what a book is suppose to do?
Tracy Lane
www.paranormalproperties.us

No comments:

Post a Comment